Monday, September 10, 2012

Planning the Future - Do we have the power?


Each and everyone of us tend to spend a lot of time planning the future, especially when we are young and have a lot of dreams and goals, and sometimes, everything just seem to have been there the whole time, waiting for us. It might happen that we plan something during our entire lives, as if it was some sort of challenging dream, for which we would have to work as hard as we could to make it true, and when the time comes, when we have to face the tortuous road ahead of us, we just don't know what to do and everything becomes a blury. So here comes the question, the big one, should we even plan so much, or just "go with the flow"?
I grew up thinking there was no other option rather than going to Civil Engineering for college, and then work with my father, taking care of the family business and assuming what is mine by right. The truth is, there are far greater things I wish to accomplish in my future life, other than just taking what is done and making it better. If anyone asked me today, right now, what I want to do in the future, there are just so many things that would cross my mind, like going to Law and Economics school in Brazil, at the same time, and actually being able to work with my dad, or study as hard as I can for the next three years ahead of me, trying to apply to London School of Economics and Political Science and then come back to Brazil, take the "Rio Branco Institute" test and be a diplomat (DREAM!), or even apply for four out of the Top 10 universities in the U.S.A, take Political Science and then choose to work either here or abroad.
My expectations for college are many, and I must admit, my expectations vary when I think about college in the U.K, Brazil, or in the U.S.A. I believe that college in the U.K would be very challenging for me, especially because the culture of the country is very different from the culture in which I grew up into, but I believe, however, that I would be in contact with great teachers, in a country that has a lot to offer culturally, academically and for my personal development. My expectations for college in the U.S.A are extremely high, I expect to be offered a whole lot of oportunities to increase my knowledge and my leadership skills, not only inside the classes, but also with the clubs and activities that a good university in the U.S.A would offer me. The idea that a person who graduated from an American famous college is automatically going to succeed professionally isn't always true, so if I get to go to the U.S.A for college, I intend to make the best out of my opportunities in order to honor the chance of going to an American college and be a successful woman in the business world.
The main goal I have concerning my future career and proffessional life is to be independent and successful in whatever the career I choose. Even though woman woman are much more recognized in the bussiness world nowadays then they were before, there is still prejudice and a lot of bareers that need to be crossed, and by choosing the university I will go and the career I will follow, I want to make sure that I will be strongly prepared to face challenges in the future and grow up professionally and personally.
Some of the things I would like to ask a college recruiter are the criterions they use to designate a certain amount of scholarship for international students, as well as the oportunities I would have throughout my years living in the college campus, and what would that certain college offer me that others wouldn't.
 London School of Economics and Political Science

No comments:

Post a Comment